FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Security Consultants Claim New Terrorist Bombs May Mean No More In-Flight WiFi
Old Nov 3, 2010, 6:27 pm
MikeMpls
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by WChou
Hmmm.... if I was a baddie, I would come up some convoluted and expensive system involving a mobile device, praying the package gets aboard a plane with wifi, a sensor to detect when a plane is above 10,000 feet to purchase wifi on board, write an application to fill out the purchase info, associate with the device with the wifi enabled device, connect a remote session to the device, trigger the device, hope none of the dozen or so failure points has a problem and along the way establish a method in which the purchase, connection, and mobile phone cannot be traced back to the device builder.

or

Use a barometric fuse.
Don't need a mobile phone -- use a remote desktop connection via 801.b/g and a USB actuator to trigger the device. On-board Wi-Fi is not required, a peer-to-peer connection would work just as well.

It's not exactly rocket science, rather just a matter of time before the bad guys put something like that together. The suicide bomber would just be sitting in his seat playing solitaire on his other laptop.