FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there a reason there can't be a better way to board?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:58 pm
belynch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by pptp
Problem is, most of those 25 per group are toward the front. Still gonna have the bottleneck and the line up the jetway since all 3 groups will pile up at the front of Y. Doesn't matter which one you send down first.
Agreed that most, if not all, of the 75 would be towards the front of the plane. If the GA spaces out the boarding, this would help alleviate the bottle-necking.

I think we're looking at this from two different perspectives. Myself and (I can only imagine others) are talking about the scrum that occurs before entering the jetway. Once the que forms in the jetway (where you see it as a FA) things are relatively orderly. Yes, no doubt boarding would go faster if people were boarded back to front. But, seeing as there's a finite amount of space on board, most elites would cry bloody murder at that*.

I'd also say, as a counter-point, that elites generally board faster than non-elites simply because they have more practice in stowing their items, and being efficient. Sure, there are loads of exceptions to that rule.

*I might be an exception, but if I'm not traveling with a roll-aboard, I strive to be the last person on the plane, whether I'm in Y or F. No need to sit for an extra 20 min. if I don't have to.