FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:10 am
FriendlySkies
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tom911
Looks like the AA pilots union is recommending pilots go for patdowns in a private area to protect their privacy and dignity. Imagine this could cause quite a backup at AA hubs like DFW or JFK, particularly for the early morning bank of flights. Have the employee unions for any other carrier come out with a similar policy? Hopefully these types of actions will support Mr. Roberts view in the long run.

Allied Pilots Association president Dave Bates is suggesting that American Airlines pilots go through a pat-down search by Transportation Security Administration personnel rather undergo the repeated radiation from the "advanced imaging technology" body scanners used at many airports.

That doesn't mean he likes the pat-downs, which can include hand-sliding over the groin and buttocks.

"There is absolutely no denying that the enhanced pat-down is a demeaning experience," Bates told members in a message Monday.

"In my view, it is unacceptable to submit to one in public while wearing the uniform of a professional airline pilot. I recommend that all pilots insist that such screening is performed in an out-of-view area to protect their privacy and dignity," he wrote.

He wants TSA to come up with a way to let pilots avoid the same high-intensity searches that the public endures at TSA checkpoints.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/a...s-against.html
Excellent news! I'd like to see TSA deal with 25 pilots all reporting for duty, and all needing private pat-downs! ^