FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)
Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:16 pm
Dr. HFH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Mi13
Hello all, and thanks so much for this newbie forum.
It's a pleasure to have you here. Welcome.

What does YQ mean?
I'm not entirely certain. Generally, there are between two and four cabins in a plane. In a three cabin configuration, for example, the cabins are typically designated as F (first class), C (or sometimes J) (business class), and Y (economy, formerly known as coach). The cabin identifier is determinative only of where you sit. Pretty much everything else in these designators refers to the fare you are paying. Thus, without knowing specifically, I guessed wrong. See Jerry A. Laska's answer immediately following.

If I search for flights on AA.com, will codeshare flights automatically show up, or do I have to call and ask?
Nope, if you're searching on AA.com, they'll almost always be there. If in doubt, you can also check the AA Timetable, which you can download in various formats here. A lot of us also use Expert Flyer. There's a cost, but it's a very comprehensive website. I use it a lot.

What should I do with the 100,000 miles??? My husband didn't want the CC, so I'd have the share them with him (or pay his way).
Well, there are lots of things to do. Here are some ideas, here, too.

Would it be worth it to save the miles until we reach elite status using full-cost fares, then use the miles for the lowest redemption possible and upgrade using the elite status?
Well, that really depends on your travel habits, -- destinations and frequency.

Sorry for the several questions covering a broad range of topics... but I'm as newbie as they come, so thanks for your time!
No apology necessary. We're happy to help!!! Feel free to review what I've written here and ask follow-up questions if you like.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Nov 1, 2010 at 5:27 pm