FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Issues involving foreign exchange conversion rates
Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:23 pm
loneraven

Programs: UA 1K Marriott Plat SPG Gold
International locations: Paying in USD

Obviously one can save quite a bit of money in foreign transaction fees when staying at international locations if the option of settling in USD is available.

Here's my limited personal experience: The Courtyard Marriott Xujiahui in Shanghai just went ahead and charged me in USD without me even asking. I had to request it at the Marriott City Walls in Beijing and they were more than happy to comply.

I was asked if I wanted to settle in USD at checkout at Marriott Regents Park in London. I wasn't given that option in any other European Marriott property though, including the Grosvenor Square in London. But then again I couldn't care less since I was traveling on business and my corporate card doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. So I didn't ask and just settled in local currency.

I just wonder if this option is available in all Marriott properties-I know this is probably a stretch. But knowing which locations have this option would certainly come in handy for personal travels.

So anyone else care to share their experience?