FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Place Mesa (Phoenix), Arizona REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Oct 30, 2010, 12:41 am
steve64

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Hyatt Place Mesa (Phoenix), Arizona REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

I've had 3 recent stays at the HP in Mesa, AZ

A block south of The 202 just east of the 101 interchange.
Take either the Alma School Rd exit (then left at the 1st light) or Dobson (right at the 1st light).

It's just to the east (and within walking distance) of a major shopping district. I've always been a late arrival followed by an early flight the next morning, so have never checked out the local shopping/dining.

Easy access to PHX Skyharbor Airport. Back onto The 202 westbound direct to the airport in 10 minutes.
Technically, the HP Tempe is the closest to the airport (5 minutes, a shuttle and usually Park-n-Fly rates. HP Mesa has neither) but the rates at Mesa are typically better than Tempe.

Property
This is a "new style" HP. Actually, the only one I've visited that wasn't the AmeriSuites design.
The lobby will look very familiar, tho the layout is different and each area is larger than AmeriSuites.
The "business center" computers are adjacent to the gallery, on the way back to the elevators. Nice to not feel like you're in a closet, but not good if you don't want folks glancing over at your screen.
Pool and the surrounding area is very nice. Looks as if they really wanted to provide a pool versus putting in anything to comply with franchise agreements. Decent sized, ample seating including a small covered area.

Room
It's HP, what more can I say ?
Seeing that the lobby was slightly different from all the other HPs I've been at, I guess I was expecting a slightly modified room layout.

Same ole same ole.
Same cramped bathroom. And same nice dressing area.
Same "ooops, we forgot to design in a closet, ummm... put it over there in that nook behind the TV".

The AC/Heat unit was even the window mount version. I was really expecting central air with the "new design" HP.
The so called "kitchenette" had a min-fridge only. No mini sink. No microwave.

Very clean, as was the rest of the property.

People
Just great.
At check-in, I usually seem to arrive at the same time as 2-3 other parties. Yet service has always been quick with an apology for the small wait. I've never considered the kiosk.
At check-out, the FD (/Phone Operator/Gallery Clerk/everything gal) has always been busy. But again gets to me quickly with smile and apology. It's amazing what simple, sincere "I'm sorry" can do

Gold Passport / Diamond
Ok, confession time. Why would anyone take the time to start a new review thread for an HP ??
I don't even take the time trying to get my points correct while I'm at an HP. To me, an HP stay = an e-mail to GP CS. Period.

HP Mesa has gotten it 100% right on all 3 stays. Yes, I said HP, not HR.
And all 3 stays were as a Diamond and ...get this... all 3 involved Gx Bonuses.

And I've never had to ask about Diamond Amenity. FD has always asked me without prompting.
On stay #2, when I verbally selected the 500 points, "Jim" said "good choice, cuz I'll spot ya a water or some fruit anyhow".

I didn't mention the Gx when checking in for stays 1 & 2. It showed up automatically on stay #1.
For stay #2, I had forgotten to check for/include a Gx when I made my on-line reservation. As Jim added in the 1W, I heard him say (kinda to himself) "and the G1 also".
Stay #3, the FD didn't say anything after adding in the 1W, so I did break my personal HP policy and mention the G1. She gave me a strange look, went to her computer and within 20 seconds said "oh...ok, there's a G1 one my list of promos, you've got it now".

I've always assumed that HP software just didn't allow FD too many choices to add promos.
HP Mesa has proven me wrong. It can be done !!

Steve