FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - October 29, 2010 - One-Way Star Alliance Awards Are Now Available
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:16 pm
EricTheNerd

Originally Posted by dickerso
This is a really terrific expansion of benefits, even if its just for the domestic market. The only "problem" I forsee related to the international market is that paid international one way fares are often more expensive than paid round trips. It's not entirely clear to me why this is true, but it removes a lot of the potential value of one-way international award flights because it isn't as if you can simply purchase half of your trip through cash, half through miles whenever you like. Well you could, but it would be hard to save money by doing so.
I think more of the value is in redeeming different award levels (out in Y, back in F), being able to make changes after flying the outbound (because the inbound is a different award), and of course, transatlantic relocation! There are also a few airlines with decent one-way international fares (Iceland Air springs to mind, I know it's not *).