FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starwood Discount Codes (SET #)
View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:23 pm
SportsTech

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by okrogius
One of my school's alumni associations has a SET number they give out. (Based on searches actually found this seems to be a semi generic "Alumni SET" that a couple of other schools provide) However, the odd thing is that every property I've tried it on (several - both different chains, and different regions) seems to give me full rack rates. This is convenient as it's easy to check spg50 rates using it... however, is there any rationale behind this? Surely no one would consider rack rates to be a discount?

(Checking a few other SETs, work one and some found online, seems to produce either a 10, 15, or 20% discount. So seems like there's something wrong with this one?)
SET codes don't provide a consistent chainwide discount; they're simply a unique ID that a specific property can use to define the discount it's willing to offer a particular company or class of people. I get really great rates with my company's SET at a few properties; a "chainwide discount" mediocre rate at most others, and no discount at all at some properties.

My guess is the SET you're checking out will provide good discounts at some hotels near schools that share this SET. But this is just a guess; would welcome better information if anyone else can shed a little light on SETland.