FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:11 pm
TXagogo

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Howdy folks,
Had my first experience with the ATI machine today at SJC and, of course, chose to opt out. I will bullet point my experience for (hopefully!) ease of reading:

1. Barely anyone in the security line. Metal detector line was right next to ATI but since no one was in the ATI line, the agent asked me to come over.
2. I went over, placed all my things in the bin, he asked if my wallet was in my pocket, and then I was directed to go to the ATI.
3. I replied “No thanks” and he stated to the metal detector agent – “Opt out – male assist please”.
4. The metal detector agent (who looked like she just rolled out of bed in her double-wide trailer) said “Sir – YOU wait there” which was next to the metal detector as a few others went through. Definite tone in her voice.
5. I waited approximately 4 minutes while she requested a male assist 3 times into her official spy issue walkie-talkie. (my items, including two laptops and my $2500 watch, were out of my view the entire time)
6. The male agent assigned to do my grope politely asked me to follow him as he gathered my things and brought them to the super special stainless steel table.
7. He explained what he was doing, asked me if I wanted a private screening area which I declined, explained that the backs of his hands would be used over the “groin” and “buttocks”.
8. He was professional about it but I found the procedure to be unnecessarily invasive, though not quite to the point of being obscene. However, I strongly object to any of this on principle.
9. He attempted friendly conversation but I made it very clear I was in no mood for idle banter.
10. He swabbed my computer and said “have a nice day”.

OVERALL: The experience was a waste of everyone’s time and was undoubtedly an infringement on my rights as a law-abiding American. Clearly there are agents out there who will be personally offended when people opt out and they will take advantage of their positions to make you wait and/ or “be punished”. (I think this attitude has the potential to change for the better if more and more people opt out, as it will become way too much time and effort to “punish” everyone). Several thousand dollars worth of personal belongings were out of my sight for a minimum of 5 minutes. The grope was BARELY acceptable as done, although the agent was trying his best to be nice. If the front of hands were used on the private areas it would definitely have crossed the line into criminal sexual assault. I adamantly oppose this entire process and if anyone in the DFW area would like to start a group to pass out flyers, educate the public, or do any kind of grassroots resistance please contact me.

Thanks…