FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:05 am
mikemey

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Opted out at RDU this morning. RDU has installed and is operating strip-search machines on ALL the lines going to the concourse with AA/DL/UA.

Screener as standing in front of WTMD and tried to make me go through machine, I said that I opt out. He looked stunned and asked me to repeat, which I did. He brought me through WTMD and ordered me to stand where I was ("that's an order"). Called for a male assist. After no one showed for a bit, he called again. Meanwhile he was standing in the WTMD forcing folks to go through the strip-search machine.

Finally another screener came over, and screener #1 said "he's refusing" - to which I said "I'm opting out, not refusing" and he noted that "TSA calls it refusing". Screener #2 gathered my things from the x-ray, telling me not to touch them, then indicated that he would pat me down. No open-palm grope today, but he insisted on patting down the bottom of my feet. Completely foolish. Asked me where I was going, and I noted that it was none of his business, to which he replied that he understood.

So, except for the use of the term "refusal" and the pat-down of the feet, it was professional. I did note that things were a lot slower through the lines, and that there were 15 or so folks lined up by the time I was done, where I was second in line coming through. Much, much slower.
Thank god all my flights are out of Terminal 1, which doesn't have any NoS machines yet.