FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does upgrading on Delta work?
View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:13 am
NCommander

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
V class is upgrade class. You need to confirm V class availability. A phone agent should be able to do that.

I didn't realize that, but it makes sense. An important subtle detail of how the system works. thanks.
Well, let's say I'm flying ROC-JFK-AMS. When you look at fare codes, they work off a starting point, and a departure points. As long as you meet all the routing rules + the requirements for the fare, everything should end up in the same fare class. If you can't meet all the requirements, then the flight will be booked as multiple fare classes based off the fare routing codes end up. If all else falls (i.e., no fare routing codes can be matched), the ticket will end up in a Y fare which is unrestricted on routing, with only a max mileage.

This isn't definitive, but my experiences based off flying connector flights on Delta, and how the ROC-JFK or ROC--ATL segment would show up.

That being said, sometimes going multisegment, especially if one set of city pares has abnormally cheap M can actually drive the M fare price down.