FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is North Korea still an exotic destination?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:58 pm
N674UW

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
Originally Posted by BDA shorts

This of course makes the tour different from other tours--it leaves huge parts of the country, or even the locality you're in that day, off-limits. So I can definitely respect people who manage to travel around without a guide, such as this guy who arrived in Pyongyang by train via Vladivostok (supposedly not open to foreigners) instead of by flight or the regular train via Dandong.

If you look at North Korea travelogues on the internet, you'll notice most of the pictures are of the same sites. Pretty much everyone takes the same itinerary, even on a private trip, unless you have something you're specifically interested in (for example, Buddhist temples).
Thanks for linking to that report of the guy who took the non-traditional train entry - I really enjoy reading TR's and travelogues of visits to North Korea, and hadn't come across that one before - because of the uniqueness of the itinerary (and the many excellent pictures provided), I'd say that TR is probably the best one Ive ever read about a trip to NK....