FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Slow "Hi-Speed" Internet in almost every Honors property
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:14 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Sorry for this rant...

Is it me, or is the "hi-speed" internet in hotels these days extremely slow? I'm a hhonors loyalist, staying mostly at HI and HGI, and it seems that 80% of my stays, I get a hi-speed connection that is barely above dial-up speeds. I mean, its laughable.

There have been a few real Hiltons where their internet (presumably paid for non-diamond members) has been decent. But the majority of my stays are awful -- even forcing me to go to the local starbucks or panera to get better internet service.

Can we really call this "hi-speed" anymore?

Sometimes I'm forced into tethering off my blackberry because 3G speeds are faster than the hhonors internet. That is just sad.

Right now i'm getting .44mbps. At home I get 25mbps. This is just pathetic.

When will these properties realize that hi-speed -- real hi-speed -- is important to business travelers, and a necessity these days? I'm almost willing to change my allegiance from hhonors to something else, if they can guarantee me faster internet.
It isn't always just hilton. I stayed at a marriott in SF a few weeks ago and was stuck paying something $14.95 a day for SLOW internet that was wired (the didn't even have wifi). The third day I was using my ipod in the room and noticed the apple store a couple blocks away was coming up for wireless and it worked. I tried it with my laptop and it not only worked, it was a LOT faster being over a block away than the wired internet I was paying for in my room.

Sometimes you can connect on another businesses wifi and get a better speed. When I stay at the hampton in Windsor there is another property hotel across the street that is unsecured and depending on where I am at in the HI, I can get a faster speed connecting to their WIFI than the hamptons. There is also another Hampton Inn I stayed at one time with a schlotskys next door that had free wifi and I had a better connection speed connecting to theirs than HI's.