FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:53 pm
N965VJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by sfo
Michael Roberts was on CNN this morning. Good interview but the commentators seemed to cut him off at the end, claiming there was no more time to finish the interview. Guess the got a phone call from the TSA.
Well, this is a morning infotainment show. When I was scanning through the transcript, I saw the previous segment was about a chimpanzee that got loose in Kansas City.

Right now, this story is the first item in the Spotlight column on Google News, and that's without me being signed in with my preferences. More here. ^

Originally Posted by polonius
To me, this just PROVES that none of what the TSA does is about 'security', but is instead about intimidating and terrorising the populace. Roberts had already passed the WTMD, was told he had to undergo the more extensive search if he wanted to access the airside area, and so he said, "OK, so be it. Bye!" What possible purpose, other than wanting to teach him a lesson about not being intimidated when they wanted you to feel intimidated could there have been in this action? And THEN, of course, he subsequently accosted, detained and questioned by ANOTHER officer AS HE WAS LEAVING! Is it the TSA's view now that we need to be alert to terrorists LEAVING the airport?
As I understand it, once the screening process has started, you cannot just say "Uh, no thanks, I'm going home." at least according to what some screeners have posted in this forum. If this was not a credentialed pilot in uniform, what would have happened? Would they be arrested, forced to submit to a genital grope, or what...?