FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Place Portland Airport/Cascade Station REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:34 pm
blenz

Programs: British Air, Virgin, Alaska, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I stayed here for the first time this weekend (10-15 and 10-16 2010). This was my first time at a Hyatt Place and it was decent--sort of a half step above Hilton Garden Inn. The property is very clean and the staff were attentive. I'm Diamond with Hyatt and was placed on the top floor opposite the road. Although the planes were very noisy--as they often are at airport properties--my stay was otherwise peaceful. The train station is a short three or so blocks, but travel time into downtown was between 20-30 minutes. Portland public transportation is the best anywhere and I can't complain.

Both nights I had bought drinks at the bar--Tanqueray gin and tonic and Dewars straight. I was able to take the mixed drink back to my room, but I had to drink the straight Dewars at the bar (the bar person told me that it's a detail of the type of liquor license they hold). Nonetheless, the pours were solid and the price was fine. The Bar area is acceptable, but small.

There is no room service, but there is food available. My son ordered a pizza which took 20 minutes. We didn't think anything of it, but the staff gave it to us for free. So I bought another drink.

There are a few decent (but chain-style) food places immediately adjacent to the hotel. A moderate sized, clean shopping mall is just across the street from the property.

We enjoyed Prime Rib at Clyde's, only a 10 minute cab ride away.

Overall, this was as good an experience as I could expect from a Portland airport property. The hotel is clean and the staff were solid. Having said that, if Hyatt ever has a Grand or Regency in Portland, I'll stay at either before I'll stay at the Hyatt Place again.