FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:57 pm
SpatialD

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
+1. Will your union support you in this?
Thanks, I needed a good belly laugh to lighten the mood.

ALPA is a political lobby that supports ALPA. They've had this static page up on their web site for a long time now, and every once in a while they put out an email to remind us that they're working diligently on this very important issue that we would be helpless to deal with apart from them.

I am making them aware of the situation, but I have zero expectations of any meaningful response.

Originally Posted by star_world
What is accomplished by having a pilot (or any airline employee for that matter) pass through a WBI device is irrelevant. It doesn't give that "pilot" a free pass to choose not to if he feels like it.
But I did exercise my right to choose not to pass through the scanner. Are you suggesting we should be made to go through it by force?

BIG THANKS to all for the encouraging replies. My in-boxes are stuffed, so be patient if you've emailed me or left a voice mail or text, but by all means still feel free to contact me.

Several have asked how they might help/support me in this. Folks, this is about something much bigger than me or my career or you and your air travel privileges. Let's remember that our children are going to have to live in whatever world we leave them in. Let's resolve now - this week - to leave them with an honorable legacy, and to honor our own forebears who sacrificed far more than their careers or convenience for the cause of liberty.

I apologize for the copy and paste replies to so many of your emails - I wish I could respond in a more personal way to everyone. But here's what I have to say to every one of you:

I didn't refuse the TSA's abuse because I thought it would change the way they do business - I did it because I didn't want them to put their hands on me! But if we are going to stop this tyrannical assault on our essential freedoms and national identity, then we must stop looking to our labor unions, our congressmen, the media, some .org, or or anyone else to fight our battles for us. We must say our own "no" whenever we are confronted with such decisions, just like Rosa Parks and so many others whose conscientious resolve simply would not allow them to bow to the idolatrous altar of totalitarianism. Risk is inherent in life, and freedom has a cost. But that cost only compounds when we defer it in favor of our immediate comfort and convenience.

I hope you'll join me in refusing to be a part of this present madness by doing exactly what I've done. And remember that money talks. There may be little value in writing your congressman - he's probably in bed with big business and not too worried about what you think. But the airlines are big business, and when their source of revenue speaks, they will listen. So flood their in-boxes. Chances are, the human beings behind the corporation receiving your message will agree that these measures are outrageous.

Tell them you're not okay with being abused for the privilege of purchasing their services.

Tell them you are eager to fly again when this invasive threat has been contained.

Tell them to bring their full weight to bear in lobbying for the rights and liberty of their customers.

And please help others to recognize what's happening out there. Many people still show up to the airport without any clue as to what they're in for. Even worse, I'm afraid the sort of despotism that is advancing upon the air transportation system may soon spill out into the streets if we don't wake up and stop giving away our rights and freedom. We must resist - actively, not just passively - those who are actively advancing against our way of life.

Thanks again, everyone.

-m.