FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best NY-Style Jewish Delis
View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:42 am
jetBlueNYFL

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Easy Victor
I couldn't disagree more with the author's premise that deli's will disappear around the country. They food is loved by both Jews and non-Jews alike, and you can't find the tastes of a Jewish deli anywhere else. The Jewish communities will support these delis as they do now. Even with the soft economy (and certainly in Detroit, it's more than soft), deli's are the comfort food that you write about and are doing quite well.

So, to that end, in the Metro Detroit area I give my vote to:

Star Deli in Southfield, Mi. Carry out only, but outstanding old school Jewish deli.

2nd vote to Stage Deli in West Bloomfield, MI
Deli is already sadly disappearing. The generation that brought deli to NY from eastern Europe is gone. The kids now running those delis are dealing with much slimmer margins due to higher costs and/or a willingness of consumers to not pay more (compared to a decent 8-10 oz. steak, you get the same amount of meat of high quality on a deli sandwich for less than half the price), changed eating habits (either more sophisticated like sushi or healthy options or chain restaurants), and overall a disconnect. Yes, some delis in some neighborhoods still thrive, but in the grand scheme of things, deli has declined and continues to do so. You need to read the book for the many statistics given.

Being from MI, have you eaten at Tony's Embers? I'm willing to make a trip up there just for that experience.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Ben's It's always bothered me that people like this place. I've eaten in Bayside and Manhattan. Slightly above average, but not a place I'd run to.

As for NY-style, what else is there?
dh
I wouldn't 'run' to Ben's...maybe I am biased because the original Ben's was only 10-15 minutes away while growing up and it was the best deli around at the time. Somewhat commercialized, but the food is delicious for what it is...and most importantly, consistent. I've also befriended the mangers and servers.

I can't believe I left out Katz's in my OP. Katz's is hands down the BEST deli.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
A lot of folks like Nate and Al's too.
Supposedly Larry King eats breakfast there every morning.
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I am embarrased to say that I have NOT tried Attman's Deli. But, now I shall!
You must! Expect a line out the door, rushed counter service and on AWESOME hole-in-the-wall experience! The food was simply amazing. It's supposedly the oldest Jewish deli in the country still run by the same family. My grandmother lived across the street in the 20s and ate there! It's not kosher so they also have MD crab cakes (didn't try one due to time constraints and the already large feast I ate there).