FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE: Four Points in Norwalk CT (Left SPG July 9, 2013)
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:58 am
Pizzaman

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Another Crappy Stay

I've stayed at this property a number of times over the past year visiting family, and it's been fairly underwhelming. The hallways have a pretty bad odor.

The rooms are generally passable, although I've noticed an increased presence of bugs in the rooms I've stayed over the last two months.

Consistent application of benefits and requests is probably my biggest concern.

I've been upgraded some times to 410 or 414, other times not, even though a suite was available on the website for a single night stay when I checked in. Not something that terribly bothers me, as the upgrades at this property aren't necessarily that much better than a normal room.

We waited 90 minutes for bed sheets to cover the pull-out sofa when they didn't bring us a rollaway as we requested when making our reservation. This would have been less of an issue if we hadn't been trying to put our 4-year old daughter to sleep.

Sometimes there are newspapers available in the morning, sometimes not.

I tried to get a late check-out during my most recent stay, as I was attending a family funeral that day before leaving on a late flight. I called down to the front desk, and they denied my request for a late check-out. I reminded them of my Plat status, and they were generous enough to re-deny my request. I asked to speak to a manager, and the girl from the front desk said she'd call me back. About 10 minutes later, she called back and told me they still couldn't honor the request, but would give me some points for my trouble. I hung up and called the Plat line. I explained the situation, and dropped in a reference to the funeral, since I was getting ready to walk out the door. They apologized profusely and told me not to worry, it would be taken care of.

Just as we were walking out of the room, the phone rang again. I answered it, and a gentleman identified himself as the GM. He said he had heard from the Plat desk, apologized for not being able to accommodate my request, and informed me that the late check-out benefit was subject to availability. I pointed him to the section that states only resort and conference center properties, and he still denied my request. I then told him I was leaving my room, and if I could return early I would. But, barring that, I would be checking out at 4pm. He finally acquiesced, telling me he would make an exception.

In summary, I just don't think I'll be able to bring myself to stay here in the future. The rates have been just shy of $200 the last few times I've stayed, so I've had to burn points for a cash and points room. The fitness center is fairly sub-par. The only real draw here is no Hyatt property to earn at in the area. My guess is HGI next time, assuming I need to be back in the area and can't stay with family.