FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many TSO's, LTSO'S, STSO'S, Leo's, BDO's etc. are on this forum?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 8:30 pm
TNGALINFLORIDA

Programs: DL, US Air, AA, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TSORon
I have asked several times here for viable ideas that would provide better security than we have now, yet have received none. Please, please, be the first.
Originally Posted by N965VJ
What to do with the TSA short term-

1. Full accountability of TSA employees, with levels of discipline up to and including termination.

2. Initiate a focus on customer service training for screening clerks, instead of barking and asking “Do you want to fly today?” The fact that the TSA has publicly stated that customer service is not a priority in its Engage! training is appalling.
Originally Posted by TSORon
Sorry, this has nothing to do with enhancing the security of the flying public.

While this also has nothing to do with enhancing the security of the flying public, it’s a position that I can agree with and support. TSA has made several forays into this area in my tenure with them, but more is needed.
Ron, you asked what would provide for better security, not enhanced security.

Since you seem to agree on point #2 about making TSA a more customer focused organization, how could you not agree that his first point goes hand in hand with the second? Please tell me how you can expect to effectively manage an organization without applying discipline, up to and including termination, when appropriate. When those agents that make life miserable for the average passenger (and I'm not talking about the folks that automatically bristle and puff up at the mere mention of TSA) are properly dealt with, in will be a start in making TSA a better agency.

It has always amazed me how many federal, state, and local government employees manage to keep their jobs for doing things that would get a private sector employee fired in a heart beat. N965VJ is spot on that stating TSO should be held responsible for their actions. If administrative discipline and re-training doesn't fix the issue, then termination is the only option. As with any government agency, we all know that everything is done in baby steps, and that is one that needs to be put at the top of the priority list.