FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many TSO's, LTSO'S, STSO'S, Leo's, BDO's etc. are on this forum?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 5:55 pm
TSORon

Originally Posted by N965VJ
What to do with the TSA short term-

1. Full accountability of TSA employees, with levels of discipline up to and including termination.
Sorry, this has nothing to do with enhancing the security of the flying public.

2. Initiate a focus on customer service training for screening clerks, instead of barking and asking “Do you want to fly today?” The fact that the TSA has publicly stated that customer service is not a priority in its Engage! training is appalling.
While this also has nothing to do with enhancing the security of the flying public, it’s a position that I can agree with and support. TSA has made several forays into this area in my tenure with them, but more is needed.

3. End the War on Liquids. The exemptions make it pointless, and even if there was such a Magic Liquid™ that could be used to create a bomb airside without laboratory conditions if you just had enough of it, just send ten guys through the checkpoint with their Kippie Bags and combine it airside.
“Enhancing” the security of the flying public, not degrading it.

4. End the Shoe Carnival. The X-Ray machine cannot detect explosives, period.
Again, “enhancing” security. Your right though, the x-ray machine cannot detect explosives. It can however detect anomalies in shoes, which will lead to other types of investigations that CAN detect explosives.

5. Eliminate the gate screenings. The fact that this is being done in MCI, where each gate area pretty much has its own checkpoint to start with, is proof that this is nothing more than security theatre and workfare.
Actually, in part the members of FT are to blame for this one. You folks have been screaming for more than a year that I personally am aware of about the possibilities of some unscreened airport workforce member being able to hand off dangerous prohibited items to passengers post-checkpoint, this technique address’ that minor flaw in the system. You asked for it, and now that you have it you don’t like it? Ever hear the term “Be careful what you ask for”?

6. Get rid of the No Fly List. There’s no effective means of redress or oversight how the list is managed. If the people on these lists are so dangerous, arrest them.
Having seen the actual no-fly list, I’d say that you ask the impossible. The majority of the folks listed there are not US citizens, do not reside in the USA, and therefore cannot be arrested by US authorities. Those that are, well they can’t be arrested unless they commit a crime, and being a threat to aviation is believe it or not, not a crime. Better to tell them to walk, don’t ya think?

7. Stop the ID checks. The TSA has no need to know who I am or where I’m flying. This is nothing more than revenue protection on behalf of the airlines. The thought that I must “present my papers” to travel within the border of my own country is disgusting.
Verifying that the individual who is holding the boarding pass is the individual it was meant for is a security step. And gee, it only takes about 30 seconds of your time.

8. Stop using the checkpoint as a dragnet. College kids with a fake IDs, illegal aliens, or some common criminal wanted on a drug charge somewhere are not a threat to commercial aviation. We have other government agencies tasked for this.
Yes, and we TSO’s are citizens just like you. We fulfill one of our civic duties by reporting suspected criminal activity to the appropriate authorities. You want us to stop doing that? First please ask all of your neighbors, then get back to us with their reactions.

9. Kill LASP dead in its tracks. There is no reason whatsoever the TSA should encroach on General Aviation. This is nothing more than a back channel way for the airlines and the Air Transport Association to make GA less of a viable alternative.
Opinions vary on this. I don’t know enough about it to really comment, and I get the feeling that neither do you.

10. End the mission creep. What on earth was the mayor of TPA thinking when he asked the TSA to provide junk science screening clerks at the Super Bowl? What do sporting events have to do with transportation? The junk science SPOT program also gets the boot.
There is no such thing as “mission creep”. Transportation Security Administration. As for the Super Bowl, I’m going to refer you to the local police department that requested TSA’s assistance. And on SPOT, you can believe what you like about it, I see it work every day. Not only is it viable, its effective.

11. Stop the use and deployment of Nude-O-Scopes. They don't see into body cavities or detect explosives, are an intrusion into privacy and needlessly add to cumulative lifetime radiation doses. All that is needed is WTMD, x-ray, and ETD/ETP.
Sorry, this has nothing to do with enhancing the security of the flying public. We are not going to get rid of an effective technology because a few folks believe that there are problems with it. Bring some facts to the table, “peer reviewed and validated” and you might have an argument.

12. The wearing of metal “LEO style” badges is stopped immediately, and replaced with the screening clerk’s name and identification number that is plainly visible.
Sorry, this has nothing to do with enhancing the security of the flying public. You don’t like it, I get it, life’s a rock.

13. Eliminate theatrics like the TSA Honor Guard. There is no need for screening clerks to dress up in silly costumes and parade around.
Sorry, this has nothing to do with enhancing the security of the flying public. If it makes them feel better about themselves then let ‘em do it.

14. Stop any consideration of having screening clerks armed with firearms, or having any LEO powers.
“Enhancing” the security of the flying public, not degrading it.

What to do with the TSA long term-

The TSA should become a part of the DOT. Actual screening should be done by private contractors with oversight by the DOT or FAA. Funny how we never heard the constant stories of mistreatment and harassment of PAX, organized rings of theft and general thuggery when this was being done by private sector firms.
DOT, been there, done that. Also, I have seen these “private contractors”. You have absolutely no idea what you are asking for. The “organized rings of theft and general thuggery” would expand exponentially. Funny how you cant hear things when you are not listening.

Originally Posted by Cholula
That's a start. Thanks.

Anybody else willing to take The Pledge™??
Please add my name to the list.

I try, lord knows I try, but I am not perfect.

But as another poster said, I will not toss softballs. If someone makes a dumb statement, I will try harder to explain why its dumb rather than just calling it dumb and leaving it at that.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts