FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]
Old Oct 15, 2010, 5:57 am
Downunder girl

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by vg247
Greetings- I've read the hits and misses on upgrades at the RH here on the forum and was curious if anyone recently staying has had upgrades being a Platinum.

We're coming in December and deciding if we should go to the RH since never stayed there before; loved our past stays at the MS with suite upgrades..so dont want to pay more and get less (meaning not upgrades) at the RH..Thanks for the feedback
I was "walked" to the RH recently ^ .

I was upgraded to a garden view suite in the newly renovated historic building. The suite was huge with two rooms, with a door to close off the sitting room. The bathroom is lovely with a fantastic shower head and lovely amenities but its very small and not what you would expect in a suite.

Although we missed having a great ocean view, this room was awesome. We loved everything about this hotel with the exception of the beach boys who insist on taking away all the chairs and umbrellas around 3.30pm, even if you are still using these items and are just taking a dip in the ocean. Other than that, it was outstanding and I cant wait to return. All other staff I came in contact with were excellent from housekeeping to management ^. Well done RH.

One thing I did notice which was mildly frustrating, despite my request to move to an ocean view suite if one become available, I was told there were none. Yet I did see them available online each day . I was in relax mode and couldnt be bothered having a daily argument over this with the check in staff, so I let it be and felt glad to have a suite even if it was the garden view not ocean view. Perhaps RH is slightly more reticent to upgrade to their ocean view suites.

Staff told us that the tower is currently being renovated but its a slow process and they are going floor by floor. I think its from the top floor down. I would stay away from the tower until its renovated.

Re the laundry: The RH does not have a self service laundry. However when I asked about this service, I was given a key to access the Sheraton Waikiki laundry. The SW has two floors with guest laundry: 5th and 18th floors.