FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian Honolulu, Hawaii post renovation 2009 [Master Thread]
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:52 pm
vg247

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ssbmg
I just completed a 3 night stay back in September (2 paid nights, 1 free wkd night) and was upgraded to a garden view suite which actually did have restricted ocean views as well from some of the windows. The room was gigantic (~800 sq ft). This was part of a 3 island trip during which I also stayed at the St Regis Princeville and the Sheraton Maui. My wife and I both agreed that the RH was from top to bottom the best experience of the 3 considering we were also traveling with our 2 year old. Had it just been the 2 of us, the St Regis would've probably eeked it out.

To contribute to the RH vs MS Westin argument - earlier this year (April) I stayed for 3 nights at the MS Westin and didn't even get put on the "SPG floor". I got a partial ocean view on the 4th floor - which is exactly what I booked- and was greeted by the front desk as if I was some guy off the street with no status. All of my money will go to RH or Hyatt when I travel to Honolulu from now on, which is at least 2x/year. My stay at the Hyatt in 2009 with absolutely NO status was second only to my most recent stay at RH. So good in fact that now Hyatt gets 25 stays per year out of me on top of the 25 that go to Starwood.
Thanks for your input and sharing your experiences.. It appears that ironically despite the caliber of these hotels guest experiences have been hit and miss..meaning they're not consistent which is too bad. Guess we'll roll the dice and see what happens. We also visit the islands twice or more a year and it would be so nice to be recognized as loyal guests consistently but I guess loyalty means very litile to RH and MS these days. (ASIA and Europe we have been 10/10 at same hotels visited for upgrades with the best service ever)