FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "What to do during layover/stopover at SFO" thread
Old Oct 9, 2010, 6:27 pm
rjque
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paulmcgrath
I have a 6 hour layover at SFO the first weekend on November. I arrive Saturday at 5:00p and depart at 11p.

I intend to get the BART to Emarbadero. My plan at the moment is...

17:00 Arrive SFO
17:15
17:30 BART SFO - Emarbadero
17:45
18:00 Arrive Embaradero

18:00 - 21:15 ????

21:15 Depart Powell / Civil Center - other suggestions based on where I may be?
21:30
21:45 Arrive back at SFO
22:00
22:15
22:30 Board flight
22:45
23:00 Depart SFO

I work out that I'll have around 3 hours free around San Fran. This will be my first time going into the city. Any suggestions of 'must-see' attractions would be appreciated (China Town, Fisherman's Wharf, Cable Carts etc). I'd like to see the Golden Gate Bridge. Will it be too dark after 6? Or is it too much out of the way?

Looking forward to any suggestions / opinions.

Thanks.
The GG bridge is pretty out of the way for what you are planning on doing. You would need more time (or a car).

In terms of what to see, it really depends on what you like. If you like Times Square in NYC then you might like Fisherman's Wharf. Otherwise, skip it and go have a nice dinner somewhere. Dinner at the Slanted Door (or Taylor's Refresher) in the Ferry Building (Embarcadero Station), then a cable car ride up California Street to Grant, walk through Chinatown a bit and then walk down Grant, through Union Square and on to Powell St. Bart station for the trip back to SFO. Or you could just go for a nice dinner at one of the many great places in the Mission.