FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New trend in cost-cutting? Company paid travel = company miles?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 3:35 pm
kebosabi

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
New trend in cost-cutting? Company paid travel = company miles?

Somewhat increasing chatter these days are that since now companies are people too, many companies are considering to revoke the accumilated frequent flyer miles and hotel points credited to the individual on company expenses and instead, have the company earn the miles and points instead for their own use.

I kinda understand the underlying cause: company pays for it, company should keep the miles; then company uses the miles = cost savings in business travel every now-and-then.

Others say that this should be the case as it's unfair to employees that don't travel that much; salesmen are given mile perks for their own personal use while other departments that don't have much business travel are stuck in the office. Instead, the company should keep the miles and say, reward employees with company accumilated miles with a potluck at the end of the year.

And on the other, there's also talk that it's only fair that the person doing all the travel to collect the miles as they are the ones always on the road, away from their families, and have to deal with the hassles of air travel today.

Anyone have insight/discussion to this matter?

I don't know which side to take here; half of me as a cost-cutting analyst by work says that's true, it's one way I can make the company I work for to save tens, if not hundred of thousands in travel related costs per year. OTOH, there's also the other half of me that says OH HELLL NO, if they take away my miles I'd be pissed

Last edited by kebosabi; Oct 8, 2010 at 3:50 pm