FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - An idea: Make Free Internet for Plats Optional
Old Oct 5, 2010, 5:05 pm
yeunganson

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Z-man
It's nice that SPG gives us PLAT's free internet, but I can't help to look at the bill every morning and think to myself that I now get a few less points and the company really benefits way more than I do since they pay the bill!!! Maybe there should be an option for PLAT's to select free internet or an ADDITIONAL 500 bonus points and give free internet on all weekend stays and points stays? The only stays I pay for personally are point stays and weekend stays so let's improve those benefits a lot more and cut back on weekday benefits unless the goal is to get companies to add SPG as their preferred travel hotels.....
How about your idea is just lousy and just morally wrong? It's just wrong to on purposly raising cost to employer while accepting kickbacks from the hotel.

Raise the price of hotel rooms and expect the company pay for it so YOU can get some extra points, it's just crazy talk. If anyone under me pull something like this with tax-payers money using my budget, it goes straight to reprimanding.

You're not the first guy that came out with this idea though.

Japan's Toyoko Inn (a big business hotel chain) start having a Support the Businessman campaign called "Business Package" where you can book a hotel room that is 2000-3000yen/night more under the "business package" rate which the company pays and the hotel will offer the guest 2000-3000 yen/night of VISA Gift Certificates - good as cash! Do I consider that a bribe? Yes! Do I think it is wrong to accept such arragement? Yes. Did that hotel get away with it? Apparently so in Japan as the campaign is still ongoing.

Maybe next time your business trip to Japan, you can stay in Toyoko Inn and get those VISA gift cards.

Last edited by yeunganson; Oct 5, 2010 at 5:23 pm