FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Hong Kong Master Thread (closed for renovation until 2022)
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:16 am
Cheetah_SA

Programs: BA BD SA
Angry It stinks!!

Quite literally.

I have just typed the long version of this - and lost it! The short version is that as many have pointed out there is a problem with a nasty, musty odour. The smell of damp mould - like carpets that have been soaked and had mould infect the damp underfelt. And I want to point out that it's not a small problem - which for some reason was the impression I misguidedly formed from seeing references to it here. It is not limited to one or two rooms though some are almost unbearably odiferous while other have the same smell in a fainter version. (Perhaps it is being distributed by the air conditioning?) I found it totally unacceptable in my first room and by the time I was shown the third I capitulated since it was obviously not going to get any better. (All 3 were Deluxe Harbour View rooms.)

So be aware that if you have even a moderately good sense of smell you are likely to find your olfactories offended. Personally I found it such a turn-off that I would not return unless it had been resolved.

Much more galling in retrospect is the downright dishonesty of the hotel to pretend there is no problem (it has been reported on FT for years already) and act like you're the first person to complain. "I have a bit of a cold so I can't smell really it" quoth the manager. Yeah right, but how many of your guests must tell you about it before you do something? The bottle of wine sent as apology now seems to me like a just a cynical ploy to mollify a guest whom they have knowingly tried to con.