FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St Regis Osaka, Japan [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:32 pm
jhm

Originally Posted by hoteleksperten
What a great review with attention to details ;-). - I'm going to Osaka very soon. Was about to book St. Regis, but does The Imperial has service of same level?
Thanks!

It depends what you're after for service. I've never really understood the much touted St Regis concept of a butler. I saw my butler when I was shown to my room. She brought me tea (with two small biscuits). There's an unpacking service but I didn't ask for it nor did she mention it. The next morning, I phoned for some tea and that was brought to me (no biscuits this time). That's all I used the butler for!

If you stay in the Imperial in a club level room, they have an attendant who sits at a desk on each floor by the lifts. I'd imagine they'd bring you tea/coffee as well (although I never asked for it). There's also a lounge too (I haven't seen it).

As far as the other services (e.g. concierge) are concerned, everything is much the same between the two hotels as far as I can tell.

Some other areas where I prefer the Imperial but YMMV:

* In the St Regis, I was allocated a room on the 26th floor (the highest is the 27th). I had a pleasant city view. In the Imperial, they have very nice rooms which overlook the river - during the cherry blossom (sakura) season, you can see the pink coloured trees all along the river.

* The St Regis is right next door to Hommachi subway station. However, as far as I could see (I didn't ask), there doesn't seem to be a shuttle bus service (unlike the Westin and the Imperial which provide several buses per hour to Osaka station).

* The St Regis just has the Italian restaurant (12th floor; no view) and the French brasserie (ground level). The Imperial has a much wider choice of restaurants - French, Japanese, teppanyaki, Chinese, sushi etc.

Although I'm not a great fan of hotel restaurants (preferring somewhere outside), lunch in your hotel can be nice and a nice hotel restaurant is good for entertaining guests. I had lunch at the teppanyaki restaurant in the Imperial - Kamon - good food and the views are nice (24th floor). (Plus you get a 10% discount if you sign up in advance for the free Imperial Club International membership which also gives you various other benefits.)

* I seem to remember seeing an exercise room (?) on the buttons in the St Regis lift but I didn't try it. The Imperial has a not free (discounted for hotel guests but still expensive) fitness club (4,400 sq m2, tennis courts, pool etc).

Last edited by jhm; Oct 4, 2010 at 6:39 pm