FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]
Old Oct 1, 2010, 6:48 pm
dibby

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Sheraton not what it used to be?

I have 6 - 8 stays in Ottawa a year and tended to stay at the Sheraton - closer to where I need to be (not that the Westin is that far away), consistent upgrades to club floor wood floor rooms, lounge access, and previously helpful and more personal service. Makes up for the smaller pool and fitness center and the dated (despite renos) rooms. The WTC parking when I have to stay over a Friday night doesn't hurt, either (noticed the signs but risked it last time - no problem).

Hadn't stayed there for about 9 months (other organizations booking and paying for the rooms), but stayed there on a Friday after meetings a few weeks ago.

Approached the front desk - young person behind it stares at me.
I smile.
"I'd like to check in."
"Yeah."
Had my dl and credit card ready to hand over. She processes it.
"Which room am I in?"
"Huuummmph!" Sigh. "It's on there." She slides the key packet over to me and I look at the room number.
"Do any of the wood floor rooms happen to be available?" They're less stuffy (less stale carpet).
"There are only a few of them."
"Yes, I know."
"No, I think they're all taken."
"Oh. Really?"
"Ok, I can check. They're all taken. Here's your breakfast voucher." (The lounge is closed Friday night and weekends).
"Oh, and can I have one of the hors d'oeuvres vouchers also?" There is a whole stack of them on the desk immediately in front of her.
"Oh, I guess there's still time. Ok. Here."
No "can I help you". No "welcome back to the Sheraton".
I took the key packet and headed up to my room. Needed two keys this trip (and had two people on the reservation) - only one key in packet.
Went back down to the front desk to get another key. "Ok, I guess I can make you another one."
Asked if she was new there - "No, I've been here two years!" she said indignantly. I replied, "so, yes, you're new then."

Snacks and cocktails in the bar - really slow service, had to ask for menus, ordered a beer. Waitress brought it, put it down on the table, began to walk away, turns back - "oh s*%^, I forgot to bring a glass. Sorry". Ok, am 50-50% about the glass and wouldn't have mentioned it, but accepted it. She explained that the bar that she usually works at doesn't serve glasses with beer. But at least she was cheerful and friendly, and was helpful when asked.

Different staff on at breakfast. Service cheerful, but much less attentive than I remember. Did someone forget to change the sign and this is now a Days Inn?

I think there's been a GM change. It wasn't hard to tell that something was different.

Since we were staying over the weekend, moved to the Chateau Laurier on Saturday. A whole different experience, service wise.