FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Oysters - where to buy? Your favorites? Etc." thread
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:39 pm
number_6
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by PVDProf
...Oysters are part species, and part terroir (or merroir?). All oysters on the east coast (including the gulf) are the same species (C. virginica), with variations in taste and consistency based on local growing conditions; an overwhelming majority of them are farmed. Pacific oysters (C. gigas) are common around the Pacific Rim, but to my taste lack the minerality of the northeastern oysters I enjoy most; Pacific oysters have been at the center of my most disappointing oyster experiences. ....
Agree completely with your points. Pacific oysters in Australia taste far better than in US west coast despite being the same species; an interesting difference. Sydney rock oysters (tweed river) are a different species (smaller and very mineral tasting). In fact a lot like what I remember Long Island oysters tasting like in the 1980s (their taste changed then, and hasn't been as good since!). The best oysters that I've eaten in 2010 have been at Richmond Oyster in Melbourne Australia (this is a fish wholesaler supplying most restaurants in Melbourne that also sells to the public). Most disappointing was in Barcelona and in Paris (bland).

Grand Central Oyster Bar (in Grand Central station) used to be fabulous for oyster but not in the past decade (sadly). In fact haven't had good oyster anywhere in Manhattan for many years now (Boston is better, but not by much). Southern Hemisphere seems to have all the good oysters now.