FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question for FT MD's on AA
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2003, 3:13 am
diverdsk

Diazepam is a benzodiazepine, the original, I believe 40 years old now. I carry with it, and as a licensed Physician and Surgeon, I can carry pretty much whatever drugs I want with me on board.

Why did I have diazepam? Remember that crazy brit Richard Reid that tried to blow up a plane using a shoe bomb? They didn't get him fully restrained until they sedated him. If this was the case, then fine, I would have gladly sedated the guy until saliva ran down his chin.

As for the Ambien, again, a woman with unknown health problems. No way to take vitals. Ambien is not narcotic, but it is a controlled substance just like diazepam. Both are not class II and can be phoned in in Illinois. Anything class III and below can be phoned in to the pharmacy in Illinois.

Oh, and FYI - I'm traveling with U.N. Medical Services papers right now.

Just something I found.

· Class I drugs are those with very high abuse potential and no therapeutic indication. These include compounds such as heroin and PCP. You may not write prescriptions for these drugs.

· Class II drugs are used as narcotic stimulants and depressants. This class includes amphetamines, morphine, codeine, DronabinolTM, FentanylTM, hydromorphone (DilaudidTM), Meperidine (DemerolTM), methadone, RitalinTM, oxycodone (PercocetTM, PercodanTM, RoxicetTM, TyloxTM), rapidly acting barbituates (pentobarbitol, SeconalTM) and cocaine. All of thse drugs require a narcotic prescription. (Please check with the RNs for pads).

· Class III are combination products containing a class II compound and a noncontrolled drug. This class includes VicodinTM, FiorinalTM (with codeine), TylenolTM number 2-4, testosterone (TestoDermTM patch), and hycodone (TussionexTM). These may be written on a standard prescription pad, but a DEA number should be included.

· Class IV drugs include benzodiazepine, phenobarbitol, propoxyphen/DarvonTM, MeridiaTM, AmbienTM and phentermine. In New York State, a narcotic prescription is required for all benzodiazepines. Please review the prescriptions with your supervising PIC. The drugs in this class like AmbienTM does not require a narcotic prescription, but a DEA number should be included on the prescription.

· Class V drugs include cough syrup containing codeine and diphenoxylate (Lomotil). These may be written on a standard prescription pad, but a DEA number should be included.

Once you have a NYS license, you may apply to the DEA for a narcotics license and your own triplicate pads. This is rather expensive, and few residents choose to follow this route. (You must, however, have a DEA number in order to be accredited as an attending, so it is a good idea for those residents not doing fellowships to apply for one in April of your senior year. Otherwise your hospital appointments will be delayed). More commonly, residents use the AIM clinic narcotic pads, which are locked up in the nurses' offices. After you use the pads, it is important to return them to the locked cabinets.