FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Automatic Upgrades (elite) [MASTER THREAD]
Old Sep 23, 2010, 1:44 pm
dcpatti

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
So did they stop the upgrade emails if you fail on the first sweep? I haven't failed in about a month to get upgraded at my 7 day window but my flight monday didn't send out an email at all for my flight to CLT on the 27th.

Lance
The mails are only supposed to come when it first attempts to upgrade you, and when you are actually upgraded. Sometimes that means only one mail, if you clear on the first attempt. It used to send an email every time it tried but I'm glad it doesn't any more. On a flight that was completely full at the window, it'd taunt you for a week about how there was no upgrade available.

At any rate, I've supported various email systems for companies of various sizes for over 15 years now, and as much as we hate to admit it, email is not a reliable method of communication. There are too many moving parts, most of which are out of your control, and when you're dealing with one system clearing the upgrades and another actually sending the emails, you may have an uphill battle trying to find out where something is broken.

I'm not apologizing for US' IT team because I think we all agree they could improve in a lot of areas. Just saying that placing a lot of importance on what is inherently a complex and unreliable system is sure to generate a lot of stress. I like getting the upgrade emails but if I ever want to know for sure, I just look in my US account.