FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tonight's flight: An annoying UAGS member & a vibrator...
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:11 pm
tfvaida

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5-Star, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
No, in fact the opposite. Vouchers in ridiculously high dollar amounts for trivial things is not good customer service. ...
Wow, what a great summary - I've been writing this note to United for the past 4 months with each consecutive F-BAR that they pull on me. Its reached a point that my wife eagerly awaits my next run-in with stupidity at United as I inevitably have to give her the coupons to use since I am on a discount program that cannot be combined with these vouchers.

Funny thing is, every time they ask me if the "compensation" was appropriate and sufficient, I have to say NO. When the problem isn't fixed (.bomb) or its in the past (on plane issue) I would far prefer a heartfelt human voice on the phone saying "I'm so sorry this happened" over an inhuman email with $150 voucher and a pre-canned message = "poop happens, here's your money".

As a business owner and operator I know my lifeblood is making my customers believe (by being the best) that choosing another company will be painful and difficult, not just trying to bribe them... otherwise I'm in a commodity business where margins are low and customers move around alot. So airlines are becoming like cell phone operators, they try to find ways to sucker you in the door (subsidized phones), and then force you to stay. I prefer actually running my business in a way that makes my customers happy to work with me, rather than afraid of the cost to leave.