FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will U.S. airfare reductions spread to Canada?
Old Aug 14, 2001, 1:04 pm
AirTom

I should have clarified that I meant buying two separate tickets, so the point is taken. My premise borders more on the hypothetical.

Is there an emerging trend, because of the low-cost airlines at play in the U.S., to eliminate the Saturday-night stayover requirement on airfares? And if so, because of our ability to buy two separate tickets to duck down through the U.S. to cross the country, will that have an effect on Canadian airfares?

Knowing that there is aggravation in crossing the border, paying additional taxes, and wasting time in airports between connections, I don't expect fares to reach U.S. levels. But at some point, if the trend develops, the pressure on Air Canada will be too much.

Certainly, if there were serious competition in Canada, things would develop more quickly, but I'm interested in seeing how intertwined or isolated the Canadian market is from the U.S. market.

If the Saturday-night stayover rule was axed on transborder flights, then Air Canada would have no choice but to respond.

For the record, even though I know I could drive to Buffalo and fly to Seattle (with Vancouver being my final destination) on United for a fraction of the Air Canada airfare, I won't do it because it's too much of a hassle.

Maybe (and most likely) the relaxation of the Saturday thing is a temporary tactic to forestall a competitor in a specific market until the economy bounces back. Then again, income tax was a temporary measure as well!