FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I sandwich a MR in between two other MRs?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:44 am
tedward

Programs: AA PLT/2MM/lifetime Admirals Club, UA lifetime United Club, DL lifetime Sky Club, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Should I sandwich a MR in between two other MRs?

In two weeks I'm running from PIT-ORD-ANC-ORD-PIT, landing at 1:15 pm.

The following day, I'm departing at 10:15 am, doing PIT-ORD-LAX-HNL-LAX-ORD-PIT.

I don't live in Pittsburgh...in fact, I'm driving there from hundreds of miles away because of the PIT DEQM/TRDM promo. So to do all of this would require an overnight stay...or, I could shove another MR in between. Here's the catch, though: in order to do the only realistic MR (given number of miles, CPM, and flying overnight to avoid a hotel stay), my flight would be arriving from ORD at 9:50 am, just 25 minutes before the next departure on a different PNR.

Now, PIT is a small airport for AA. So, I'm pretty sure they simply turn the same plane around...but if they don't and I miss my flight, it would cause me to miss my next flight on the next PNR.

So, here are my questions:
  1. If I miss my first flight on the HNL trip, would AA rebook that itinerary without my incurring any fees? I actually do have some looseness with my connections; it would only require changing two flights, not the entire PNR...unless something goes horribly wrong, of course.
  2. If something does go wrong and I have to see an agent about this, it's going to be perfectly clear to the agent that I'm doing MRs. Would I end up with any black mark or whatever on my record with AA for the irresponsible behavior of booking back-to-back itineraries, 25 minutes apart?

Oh, by the way, I'm sure some of you are wondering why I don't just tack on an extra MR at the beginning or end of the trip. Well, the fares are too high and the timing's not good. Believe me, I looked into it. I'm also considering the possibility of a VDB situation happening somewhere in these 10 flights...if I take the extra flight, I might not be able to volunteer.

Thanks for your help!