FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - September 11, 2001: tell us your travel stories
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:55 pm
AX9465

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
I was in the meeting room, in Ireland. It went normal until someone bolted into the room and said - you won't believe it but plane just hit WTC... we tried to find news sources on inet - no avail, everything was jammed already. I was stayig at small hotel in Leixlip area (~10 rooms or so) and I was very moved by the athmosphere there - people moved around, supportiung each other... incredible. Needless to say they declared a day of national mourning - I honestly dont kow if there was any other nation outside US who did it - again it was very moving. I was scheduled to fly back on 15th. I can not forget confusion of airport security and other staff - as some of earlier posters noted - it then downed on me that world will never be the same again... ever.
I visited NY for a first time in my life in 2007. I walked the streets around WTC. I remember seeing stubs of the twin towers with recognizable ladders sticking up the air. i thought it took some courage for regular subway riders to continue using that station - now exposed to open air...
then something happened - a plane was circling manhattan leaving smoke trail - it read "will you marry me?" and it was greatest manifestation that life still goes on - I glad I've seen that plane, without that it would be eery unreal.

Rremebering all who perished....
AX