FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA's airline passenger identification policies
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:05 pm
pmocek

SATTSO, if you're going to continue to participate in this discussion, would you please respond to the following?

Originally Posted by SATTSO
I stopped reading after this:

" it's relatively clear that your boarding pass is all the documentation that's ever required for domestic flights. It seems that passengers are not required to present documentation of their identities to TSA staff, and that doing so is not a condition of crossing the TSA checkpoint, but rather is an option which allows passengers to cross the checkpoint with a less-thorough search of their belongings and fewer questions."

As it is entirely incorrect.
Please correct me. Saying that a whole paragraph is "entirely incorrect" is not very helpful. What, specifically, do you dispute?
  • The clarity?
  • That a boarding pass is all the documentation required for domestic flights?
  • That passengers are not required to present identity credentials to TSA staff in order to cross the checkpoint?
  • That presenting identity credentials at the checkpoint is optional?
  • That electing to do so allows passengers through the checkpoint with a less-thorough search of their belongings?
  • That electing to do so allows passengers through the checkpoint with fewer questions from TSA?

Best I can tell, these are all the case.

If you've explained before, please explain one last time, in this thread, which was created for just such a discussion.

Originally Posted by pmocek
SATTSO, you, as a TSA employee, should be particularly well-suited to tell us about TSA policies. Could you please help me correct any errors you see in my original post? You previously stated that most of the paragraph under the "What are the rules concerning airline passenger identification by TSA?" heading was incorrect, but despite my repeated requests for you to do so, you've never said what parts are incorrect.

Also, could you please tell us where you looked up the information about refusals to present identity credentials you said you looked up?
Phil, if you haven't gotten it yet, in not really going to answer any of your questions. No point in doing so; you don't accept what I or anyone says about this or any topic, unless you agree.
I'm not going to accept anything you say as any more than something you say unless you back your assertions with sources we can verify. I'm happy to accept something you say as the word of one anonymous TSA employee, but we'd all be fools to take your word for it when our freedom is on the line.

This isn't about opinions -- matters on which we can agree or disagree -- it's about the rules people are required to follow in order to avoid having their movement restricted by you and your colleagues.

In the past, a recurring problem has been that I asked a question, then you responded without answering. You've just done it again:

However, as a way of informing others, as it is a valid point, I looked it up to confirm becaus it is so rare that someone does not show identification.
That's interesting, and I thank you for sharing. You answered the question, "Why did you look it up?" but that is not what you were asked. The question I asked you -- the one to which you seem to have intended to respond -- was, "Where did you look it up?" You've yet to answer the question. Could you please tell us where you looked up this information you claim to have looked up?

Also, could you please correct any errors in my original post? You said that a significant part of it was incorrect, but you've yet to explain yourself, despite my polite requests for you to do so.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 8, 2010 at 7:09 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts