FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rimowa IATA: Salsa Air vs. Salsa vs. Salsa Deluxe?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:38 pm
payam81

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
There are pros and cons with all of them.

Salsa is the barebones, version of the line. Interior has straps which aren't very effective when the case is not fully packed and can also get in the way when you don't want to use them. This is the older design which Rimowa is moving away from pretty much in all of their other lines. Moulded plastic handles but same shell/wheels as Salsa Deluxe so the compartment sizes are actually identical with identical interior volumes.

Salsa Air is of course noticeable lightest of the group. This is the "original" IATA multiwheel from Rimowa. The light weight is achieved through thinner polycarbonate casing so in essence you must exercise caution in checking this one in. It also has a single telescoping handle which I personally find a bit flimsy. The interior is also a very simple mesh zip-up which I don't particularly care for. All said, the light weight is definitely very appealing and I can at some point find myself complimenting my IATA Limbo trolley (2 wheel) with a IATA Salsa Air multiwheel at some point.

Salsa Deluxee is as the name suggests the top of the line in this group. It has the nicest interior with compression strap dividers which are very ingenious. This is my favorite though as it's fairly tough, yet light enough. Some other subtle differences like gel padded handles, vs molded plastic on the other two and an ingenious integrated add-a-bag holder. It also sports some of the better colors. The black is shiny, matching the Limbo line compared to the matt black in regular Salsa line. Oh and the bigger ones come with a hidden torx screw driver in the case, to assist in changing wheels on your own.

Weight wise: Salsa Air < Salsa < Salsa Deluxe. The difference is about 1 pounds between Salsa Deluxe and Salsa and about .7 pounds between Salsa and Salsa Air so not really that huge in the grand scheme of things.

This year both Salsa and Salsa Deluxe get their own versions of IATA multiwheel so I expect they eat in to some of Salsa Air's sales. But as a general rule, multiwheels are about 10%-20% less efficient with space.

My personal vote goes for the Salsa Deluxe because of:
  • Nicer Interior.
  • Nicer Colors.
  • Integrated Add-a-Bag Holder.
  • Better Handles.

I just bought a 29" Salsa Deluxe in black to compliment my IATA Limbo and Bolero laptop bag.

BTW, Whichever one you get, buy a product called "Goo Gone". This thing is simply amazing for cleaning the scuffs which will end on on the polycarbonate eventually. A great tip from my insider Rimowa dealer friend.

Last edited by payam81; Aug 30, 2010 at 6:52 pm