FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should we be concerned with this new Upgrade Development?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:03 pm
Reptile

Programs: UA 1K, 1.7 Million Miler, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down Should we be concerned with this new Upgrade Development?

Background: Tomorrow I am flying through IAH to Atlanta. Before the 24 hour mark I received an email announcing that my upgrade cleared on the flight to Houston. Good.

Curious I was wondering about the 2 hour flight to Atlanta. I checked and they were still offering seats for sale on my flight, but no upgrade had cleared. No big deal I thought; this may be a battlefield upgrade on the plane.

Well as I proceeded to check in I pulled up the seat map to check the seats on my flight to Atlanta. I received an interested offer: Upgrade to First Class for $29!

I know that Continental has been offering first class upgrades for a price, but this is just dead wrong. I fly over 100K per year on Continental. The main perk that I fly for is the upgrades.

In this situation they could have easily upgraded me (10 year platinum, over 1.4 million miles) rather than insult me and offer me to pay them another $29 for the seat.

I called the elite desk and as I suspected; they said this was an error and gave the seat. I don't buy this for one minute. Computers don't make mistakes. This was programmed to do exactly what it did.

I will not continue to let management chip away at my elite benefits and continue to fly them exclusively. This merger with United will give them an opportunity to bring more to the table for elites. I for one am tired of them continuing to take benefits away.