FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:08 am
neko

Programs: EB*G, UA ex1K
Originally Posted by exerda
I was not permitted to opt out in RIC on Saturday evening. I told the WTMD moat dragon that I would undergo a secondary and pat-down, but that I would not go through the Nude-o-Scope. She said it was NOT an option. If I wasn't at T-10 minutes for my flight to board, I would have stood firm.

If I hadn't been so short on time, I would have demanded supervisors like crazy, but this was the last flight of the day and was boarding very shortly.

At this point, I suspect an e-mail complaint to TSA will go nowhere.
Don't email a complaint. Write a hard-copy letter saying that you were forced to use the WBI, even though you repeatedly stated that you were exercising your right to opt out. Keep it short, don't bother about the wallet and stuff; not allowing a passenger to opt out is a clear violation of TSA stated policy. It's good if you have names, otherwise date and time.

Send it (certified) to the manager and security director at the RIC, copy to TSA in DC and to your congresspersons.

It's more of a hassle than just emailing (duh, that's why we invented email ), but it only costs a couple of dollars and creates a formal paper trail for your complaint.

Just to save you a little time:

Manager: JON MATHIASEN
Federal security director: ANNIE NELSON

1 RICHARD E BYRD TERMINAL DR
RICHMOND, VA 23250

You can get the name and address of the manager of any airport here:

https://airports-gis.faa.gov/airportsgis/airportLookup/

As far as I know, you have to google ""federal security director" airport-name" to find an individual name for the security director, but you can always just put "Attn: Federal Security Director" in the address instead.