FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:19 pm
aidanc

Programs: LH SEN
2degrees - New Zealand

Getting a SIM card

I had some time land side in AKL, and was able to get a 2degrees SIM card from Whitcoulls (a newsagents) upstairs near the international departures area. There is a small branch just outside international arrivals, but they were out of stock, and sent me upstairs.

I paid NZ$5 for the SIM card with NZ$1 credit, and also got a NZ$20 topup voucher. I was able to pay with a credit card. A total of NZ$25 (€14). The minimum top-up is apparently NZ$20.

Getting topped-up

You can get top-up vouchers at most newsagents, petrol stations and supermarkets.

Enabling data

I activated the SIM card in my phone by dialling 200 and went through the voice prompts. Then I topped up the phone with the NZ$20 voucher.

Data is sold by 2degrees in 50MB bundles for NZ$6 (some €3.30) - they call it a data-pack. You send a text BUY 50MB to 233, and it's valid until you use up the 50MB. Link here.

APN

I had to google this APN as well, and it's internet. No username or password required.

Micro SIM

No details just yet.