FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Border Patrol checkpoint on I-10 in west Texas
Old Aug 28, 2010, 7:37 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
How naive. Have you seen a vehicle code book? If an officer can't find "probable cause" or a violation to pull somebody over after following them for a mile or two at most, they're not creative or just not interested in pulling you over to talk to you. Everything from weaving in a lane to 3-4 mph over the posted limit will do the trick. Also you took that turn a little wide works as well as any and all equipment violations such as cracked windshields, non working license plate lights. Take your pick.
Actually, weaving in a lane has been tossed out by most courts to reach the issue in DUI cases. Has happened at least a dozen times.

Do you hyperventilate and panic over roadside sobriety checkpoints if you haven't been drinking? If you haven't been drinking and don't appear to be impaired at all, what is the rational basis for your fear, panic, and hyperanxiety?
Innocent people have been charged with DUI before; it is expensive and embarassing.

And if you honestly do hyperventilate and panic over checkpoints (Border Patrol, sobriety, whatever) did you ever think that your anxiety over the matter is translating to body language which makes you appear more suspicious or interesting to a LEO?
I'm not sure how that would change things . . .

Seriously if you have this much anxiety over checkpoints for things that you're not guilty of or doing, the US Constitution isn't going to help you much, I think you need to see a therapist.
Maybe. But if these things didn't exist in the first place (i.e. if the Supreme Court hadn't made an exception to warrant rule in the place, this wouldn't an issue, now would it?

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Virtual strip searches and "enhanced" pat-downs that are more aggressive than someone entering prison are prime examples.
I think you've lost perspective.

Last edited by Ari; Aug 28, 2010 at 7:46 am