FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Border Patrol checkpoint on I-10 in west Texas
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:53 am
T-the-B

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by Firebug4
You can hope but it was a drug dog. The dogs are trained for humans, drugs and in some cases money. Current case law states that a sniff by a drug dog is allowed without a warrant or suspision as long as the stop is not extended past a reasonable amount of time for the original stop. This is why at a Border Patrol checkpoint the dog is right there on primary. More later if anyone is interested I am pressed for time right now.

FB
I would be interested in understanding a few things about the dog.

1. Is the dog trained to detect the presence of a human or just the odor of a human? In other words, If I had let a hitchhiker out 5 miles back would the dog alert the the residual odor?

2. If the dog is trained to alert to either the odor or actual presence of a human why does it not alert on every car? It seems to me that pretty much 100% of cars at the checkpoint will be driven by a human?

3. Is the dog trained to differentiate between humans "in plain sight" and those not visible?

4. Do humans in the US legally have a distinctive odor different from those here illegally? In other words, how does the dog determine the immigration status of those humans it smells?