FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Road trip...zoos (and aquariums?)
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:10 pm
ranles
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
abmj-jr

Once again, thank you.

While we will not be there until October 6th (Wed.), the road work will impact us, if ongoing at that time. Fortunately, we have some flexibility in time. Sure glad we decided early on that one day for the Sequoia and Kings, even on our abbreviated type visit, would not work. Staying "in" the park really helps.

We will be coming in from Visalia. Leaving at 8:30 ish. Are plans (thanks to you), including driving into Kaweah, thru Three Rivers with perhaps a coffee, stretch, few pictures and bathroom stop. Then on into the park passing the Mineral King turnoff to Foothills Visitor Center and Park Headquarters (we will stop at all VC's) for info, National Park Passport Stamp (we have the seniors pass), videos, or ?. We will get the road update at that time. We stop for most pull outs, sign/interpretive boards and the like. We will bypass campgrounds, picnic and camping areas. We plan on stopping at the Giant Forest Museum and to take the 2/3 mile level Big Trees loop trail. Next we will check out Lodgepole Village. We will pass n the Cave Tour. We would like to go to the General Sherman Tree. It was dependent on getting a temporary permit to park at the lower lot. Now I understand a new lot is under construction, so that is in the air. We also plan to check out the Tunnel Log. The final stop planned is at the Stony Creek Lodge for the night.
There is likely some other things we will find out about while there to add if time permits.

the next day, likely 8:30 or so we will find Kings Canyon Overlook, then on to Grant Grove Village. Gamlin Cabin and the Fallen Monarch is accessible by a 1/3 mile paved trail, so we will likely do that. The General Grant tree is a bit more iffy. We plan to pass up both Panoramic Point Road and Redwood Canyon. It looks like you drive to Redwood Mountain Overlook, so we will do that. Roaring River Falls (likely dry?) is a short walk.east of the Village road. I beleive that the road to Cedar Grove Village is likely closed when we are there, so that is questionable. Heading back to Fresno, we intend to stop at Cathaven, time permitting.

I really did not intend to give all that info, but you have been so helpfully, it seemed a good investment for us, and maybe a little useful to others on FT.

My wife and I have been to Sequoia Nat. Pk. before, separately, perhaps 50-60 years ago.

Thanks again.