FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passport stamps when entering US?
View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:35 am
CAPTVOY

Programs: BA, EI & VS
It really depends on what the law states in regards to the passport.

Some countries like here in the UK do not stamp on their own passport when their citizens return because you are a citizen of that country and you are returning home. Some places due to issues about nationality and territory like Mainland China/HK/Macau/Taiwan, requires different arrival procedure e.g. entering Beijing, you can't use your HK Passport.

Whilst a Taiwanese Passport entering HK doesn't get stamped because in the PRC laws, it states Taiwan is a Chinese territory but under a different administration therefore Taiwanese citizens are treated as simply returning home thus their passport doesn't get stamped but due to political issues, they have a pre-arrival visa which does get stamped instead.

If USA is like these countries, then their USCBP really shouldn't be stamping their own US passport but it depends what the US laws states on that matter.

A small nitpic, but for me it is irritating how USCBP Officer always have to use a new page on my passport to stamp on when I visit the US, while other countries will find space in an existing page with stamps already present and stamp it there. SO irritating.

Last edited by CAPTVOY; Aug 23, 2010 at 4:49 am Reason: Added - "like here in the UK"