FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:53 pm
Kien

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
So not sure what the issue is, you got home earlier, why do you feel that you should have been compensated ? They lived up to their end of the deal. FYI don't ever volunteer to be bumped without asking about compensation first. They did offer you anything before you vcolunteered so they did not need to provide anything. I would be happy with the $100
Thanks. You are right...I should have asked what is the compensation before volunteering. Like I said, I was checking in at 4:00AM for a 6:00AM flight. I was not in a hurry to get to my destination as I did not have to be there for another 12 hours so getting there a few hours later would not have affected me in any way. I thought I had the time and assume the compensation is usually a free RT ticket but it was a bad assumption on my part. I was almost floored when I was told you get nothing for compensation. I know they were desperate because they were trying to figure out how to get other people to SLC in time to make their connections. I was just waiting around and they said they could get me there earlier than my scheduled time even though I had to fly in the opposite direction to make my connecting flight. I left an hour earlier than my scheduled flight time but I had a little longer flight. I would have rather waited, get there later than my scheduled time, and get a free RT ticket. Maybe it was my fault for chiming in so early that I got put on a flight an hour earlier than my scheduled departure time so I can get to my destination on time and hence they would not really have to compensate me at all. Then I really would have done them a big favor for nothing. Well, I did get $100 so it was not nothing. Nuff said.