FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend
View Single Post
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:45 am
Splittin' Aces

Stopover, Open Jaw & Mixed Travel Class worked with the voucher

Just booked a trip this morning for travel next summer (3 tickets - me, wife, daughter) using the BA Chase Companion Voucher to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Everything worked as advertised - though it took three phone calls. On my first phone call to the USA call center I was told that they couldn't book the vouchers on the phone - they had to be booked online, and that if I wanted open jaw I had to book two one way trips. That didn't sound right and the agent was adamant about it, so I politely said "thanks I'll try it", hung up and called again. 98% success with the second call (had to make a third call to get one of the tickets issued).

SFO-LHR in CW, stop 4 days in London, then LCY-ZUR in Club Europe. Return flight GVA-LHR-SFO in Club Europe & First. So Open Jaw, Stopover and mixing classes worked for me. Used 250K miles and the voucher to book this.

Total tax & fuel surcharge was US$402 per ticket.

A few of tips I picked up (you all probably knew this already):
1) My wife & I are bringing our 12 year old daughter. My wife & I already have a household account, but I needed to create an account for my daughter and add her to the household account before I could book the three tickets.
2) The agent had to do two bookings - a booking for two seats (me as the primary cardholder and the companion voucher). And then a separate booking for miles only. She couldn't put all three tickets on the same booking.
3) Make sure you get both a confirmation number and a ticket number. On the first booking for the miles + companion voucher, for whatever reason the ticket number wasn't issued. Once I printed out both itineraries from our accounts and looked at them, I saw the missing ticket number and had to make a third call to get it issued.

Thanks FT, Chase, ba.com helper and all of you that have contributed info to the various threads on this!