FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Road trip...zoos (and aquariums?)
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2010, 4:57 pm
ranles
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
abmj-jr

Thanks, yes we will be, and in addition, we will be staying one night at Stone Creek Lodge.

We will spend the night in Visalia (from Las Vegas), departing for our first day in the park facility about 9am. The drive to the park in about an hour. The drive to Mineral King and back is about 3 hours, plus a walk up to the view site!? (so I am told). While a few issues make it difficult for me to "hike" much, I can stroll around some, but slow and limited. It is another hour over to the Giant Forest Museum, Big Trees Trail and on to General Sherman Tree (if we can get a Lower Sherman parking pass.). Stopping along the way for pictures and viewing, should take the better part of day one. Lodgepole visitor center, Grant Grove VC, Roaring River Falls, General Grant Tree, Panoramic Point Road, and over to Cedar Grove Village and back out to Fresno should take the second day. If Cedar Grove road is closed (freeing up 3 hours), then we will definitely visit Cathaven on our way to Fresno.

Note, I am aware that we will be missing the Crystal Cave (likely closed, by the time we arrive), however caves and confined spaces are not my best venue! Also the Ranger tells me that the dirt road to Redwood Canyon is more a hiking trail, than a driving one. We will likely add an item or two as we go.

Thank you JerryFF-we have been to Monterey Bay (okay), Sea World (more that one), and to the Long Beach Aquarium (way better that Monterey Bay Aquarium IMHO). May give Mandalay Bay a look if we stay their our second two nights. First two are at Luxor (very nearby).