FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA Centurion now "Invitation Only"
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:13 pm
mlad1101

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
I agree, I think "invitation only" is a marketing ploy. If you inquire a few times, and have a decent expenditure with a Platinum Amex that has had 0 payment issues, I am sure they will take you.

If not, this concerns me as a shareholder of AXP. If there are people willing to fork over $7,500+ so they (and their significant others) can have a 45 cent piece of titanium, and they're not taking advantage of that, I have an issue with that.

As a former Centurion who is more than happy with my Plat, I could care less about obtaining Centurion again. It just isn't worth it. Without Platinum Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, and higher tiers of airline status, not much incentive.
You do realize though if they don't have the requirements and it's basically available to anyone with decent spend willing to drop $7500 it will in the end devalue the program and benefits even more. The partners join on and grant the statuses because of the elite clientele they are reaching in hopes of gaining big spenders to better their bottom lines, the less elite the membership base is the less programs you will have granting benefits.