FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Star Alliance/Oneworld Award Planning with Award Nexus
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:29 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Have been fiddling with Award Nexus for a week or two now, but just discovered this thread.

First of all, congratulations on constructing this excellent tool! It has already come in very handy in finding 2 RT CX F seats SFO-HKG and connecting J flights to and from CMB. Great stuff!

I have a few minor suggestions re explanatory info you might post on your site. They might be so minor that they're not working including there, but FWIW...

1. For *A awards, you might include mention of the fact that UA Starnet blocking results in the following: non-UA *A awards that appear available via, e.g., an NH search in reality are sometimes not available for redemption using UA miles.
2. It might be useful to suggest to folks that if they find a flight that appears available, if they call an airline they provide a CSR with the specific flight # and/or time rather than having him/her simply do a search for availability on a given date. I say this because of a specific experience I had with a generally competent, helpful AA CSR while booking the CX flights mentioned above. When I first asked her about availability on a given date that ANX was showing as available, she could not find it. But it turned out that she was simply working within unnecessarily limited time parameters, perhaps because she thought CX only had one SFO-HKG flight daily.
3. As indicated by other comments I've seen in skimming through parts of this thread, you might explain/clarify Route Builder a bit more. Until reading the thread, I didn't realize that: a) I could plug in more than one airport into the transit box or b) that the transit box also serves as a multiple origin/destination search box if you leave those one of those other two boxes empty. You might accordingly add this info to your Route Builder bullet points:
  • You may search for more than one transit point by entering multiple airport codes in the transit box
  • You may search for multiple origins or destinations by leaving their respective boxes empty and entering multiple airport codes in the transit box. The transit box thus becomes the de facto origin or destination box.

Or something to that effect...

Anyway, again, thanks for pulling this tool together!

Last edited by Thunderroad; Aug 15, 2010 at 6:58 pm