FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread
Old Feb 24, 2003, 7:30 pm
number_6
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Happs:
I don't mean to be a pest but I was reading the Frommer's New Zealand book today and it says that your US passport should be valid for 3 months after your trip. Mine expires a month after my trip? I will only be gone for two weeks. Is this going to be a problem? </font>
A very big problem. Most airlines will refuse to let you board if your passport is that close to expiry (they will have to fly you back at their cost if you are refused entry at your destination). Most countries require 6 months validity on passports at time of entry into the country. NZ is a bit more liberal, but there is little chance that you will be allowed entry into NZ or any other country requiring a passport unless you renew your passport prior to your trip.

I was sufficiently concerned about your situation to check the NZ government web site, and your passport does require 3 months validity after the date leaving NZ. See http://www.immigration.govt.nz/visit/

You should phone the NZ office at LAX and see what they suggest. Renewing your US passport by next week is possible but difficult.
New Zealand Consulate General
Suite 1150
12400 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90025

Office hours: Hours open to the public:
9.00am-12.00pm (Monday to Friday)
Phone: (310) 207 1605
Fax: (310) 207 3605
(this may be what you'll be doing at LAX on your trip).

[This message has been edited by number_6 (edited 02-24-2003).]